Available for university graduates in their first, second or third year of study (for those with an integrated Master’s degree).
You'll work alongside our experienced staff in the area that most interests you, building on your existing skills and gaining new ones. We value your insights and ideas, and during your time with us you’ll have every opportunity to make a real contribution.
Internships aim to provide some valuable on-the-job work experience and a chance to understand a little more about Wellcome and the work that the various teams undertake. As well as work within your own team, you will typically participate in summer volunteering programmes and receive some formal learning on presentation skills so that you share what you have learnt with us and others!
Our summer interns are often motivated to apply for our graduate programme when they have completed their studies.
What we offer
- You'll get to work on real projects.
- We pay the London Living Wage which is currently £11.95 per hour.
- The internships last for 8 weeks each summer, from July to August. If required to be in the Wellcome offices in London we will be able to provide some financial support for travel or contributions to accommodation.
- You’ll be part of a cohort of interns, and get to share your experiences together.
- You’ll work on a project with fellow interns which will develop new skills and show you how Wellcome operates to achieve its aims.
- You’ll have a dedicated line manager who’ll support and mentor you, and oversee your work.
- You’ll have lots of opportunities for development – including the chance to meet people from across Wellcome, hear from industry experts, attend career development workshops and participate in group volunteering days.
- You'll gain insight into how a global charity works and leave your internship with some great connections and experience.
Who can apply
- be a current undergraduate partway through your studies (not in your final year)
- be available for the entire programme
- have the right to work in the UK.
You can’t apply if you’ve already completed a Wellcome internship.
How to apply
"The staff here are a collection of the friendliest people. I am ending my internship scared that my future internships or jobs will not meet the standards that have been set so high so early in my career." (Noor Alabdulbaqi, Science)
"My experience at Wellcome has been wholly positive and inspiring. I have a science background and have found that Finance has allowed me to really understand how the Trust makes such a difference in the research community. My understanding of accounting, financial processes and controls has developed through my work on mini projects. Everybody is really committed and enthusiastic, and has made this summer enjoyable and rewarding." (Thomas Clarke, Finance)
"Working for the Investments division has been truly unique – I've been able to develop my research and financial skills from working on a macro overview of India and a project on commodities exposures. I’ve also had experience in equities through covering some public stocks and communicating ideas to the team." (Jia Jun Lim, Investments)