Wellcome Global Monitor 2020: Mental health
The role of science in mental health: Insights from the Wellcome Global Monitor.
The Wellcome Global Monitor: Mental Health is the world’s largest survey of how people consider and cope with anxiety and depression and explores the perceived role of science to find new solutions.
- findings about global perceptions of living with anxiety and depression, approaches to address it and the role of science, based on a survey of over 119,000 people in 113 countries.
Who this is for
- policy makers
- science communicators
- public engagement practitioners
- anyone interested in mental health.
- People worldwide think mental health is important. The Wellcome Global Monitor shows 92% of people worldwide believe mental health was as important or more important than physical health across all countries.
- They are not sure that science can help. The Wellcome Global Monitor shows more people saw science as highly relevant to being able to help address infectious diseases (53%) than anxiety and depression (31%).
- A combination of different approaches are used by people globally to manage their mental health.
- Mental Health Science must rise to this challenge together, building on the evidence of what works to find next-generation treatments, and thoroughly investigate all possible solutions.
Click images to open gallery
Share on social media
You can use any of the resources on this page when talking about the Wellcome Global Monitor. If you're sharing on social media, please use the hashtag #WMonitor.
Read chapters online
- Executive summary
- Chapter 1: Views on mental health and the role of science in understanding and addressing problems
- Chapter 2: Experience of anxiety or depression
- Chapter 3: How people manage anxiety or depression
- Chapter 4: Perceived helpfulness of approaches to alleviating anxiety or depression
- Wellcome Global Monitor 2020: Mental Health [PDF 3.88MB]
- Methodology report [PDF 140KB]
- Questionnaire Development Information for Mental Health Report [PDF 87KB]
- Full Questionnaire [PDF 149KB]