The findings are based on interviews with approximately 150 experts throughout 2019 and 2020, and reviews of more than 250 documents. The report includes:
- analysis of the current AMR landscape, recent developments and gaps in the global response
- a proposal for what a critical path for the AMR global response could look like
Who this is for
- policy makers
- global health community
- product developers
1. The AMR community has achieved notable recent successes:
- AMR has gained prominence on the global political agenda – it has moved from a largely medical topic to a political one
- the AMR community has grown into a broad, multi-sectoral coalition of actors that come from a range of sectors, including human health, animals and agriculture, and the environment
- early-stage and translational research are robustly funded.
2. Critical gaps are threatening this progress:
- global AMR discussions in the past few years have not translated into action, particularly in low- and middle-income countries
- prioritising interventions has been difficult, mainly due to the complex, multifaceted nature of AMR
- the AMR agenda was at risk of losing momentum even before Covid-19; the pandemic has made this concern more acute.
3. Covid-19 has radically altered the world’s conversation on public health, and will likely affect the global response to AMR in at least two ways:
- Covid-19 has placed both upward and downward pressure on the development of drug resistance in infections
- the policy fallout from Covid-19 brings both risks and opportunities for the attention AMR receives on a policy level, including funding, advocacy, and research.
4. The next few years will define the trajectory of the long-term AMR response and how successful it can be:
- there is a clear need to rethink the positioning of AMR as part of the global health agenda
- the AMR community must align on a specific critical path to achieve impact.
The complexity of the AMR landscape, combined with a dearth of evidence allowing policymakers to quantify the relative contribution to resistance of different themes, has led to a state of paralysis.