Kate heads the Lived Experience team in Wellcome’s Mental Health Programme, which includes an international team of Lived Experience Consultants.
The team work to ensure that:
- the expertise of people with lived experience of mental health challenges is embedded across the Mental Health Programme and shapes the team's thinking, direction and decision-making
- lived experience expertise is embedded in design, development and delivery of the projects, programmes and research that we fund
- we find and promote the best models of ensuring the expertise of lived experience is embedded in mental health science and research.
Throughout her career, Kate has worked in collaboration with people with lived experience of disability and mental health to influence decisions that:
- affect their lives
- improve the services they use
- influence national policy
- shape the design and delivery of research.
Kate’s PhD, in the sociology of childhood, explored shared decision-making in young people’s mental health inpatient services (UCL). Kate was on the Board of Trustees of London Friend, the UKs oldest LGBTQ health and mental health charity from 2013, and Chair of Trustees from 2016-2021.