Wellcome Annual Report 2021
Find out how Wellcome performed in 2020/21, with commentaries from our Chair and Director, reports on strategies and activities, and reviews of our finances and investments.
- Reports and financial statements relating to the year from 1 October 2020 to 30 September 2021.
Who this is for
- Anyone interested in how Wellcome makes money, how we spend it, and what impact our activities have in our mission of improving health.
A new strategy, increased charitable expenditure and a more integrated organisation mean Wellcome is set to enter a new phase.
- In 2020/21, Wellcome spent £1.2 billion on charitable activities to improve health through science.
- We plan to spend £16 billion over the next ten years supporting science to solve the urgent health challenges facing everyone, following record returns on our investment portfolio.
- Three new funding schemes launched in August 2021 to enable researchers to be ambitious in their search for new insights into life, health and wellbeing.
- Wellcome’s role at the intersection of science and global politics continued throughout the year in the response to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- We have set ambitious targets to increase diversity and inclusion in our staff, the people we fund, and the research we support.