What we don't fund
In general, we do not fund:
- scientific research outside our discovery research remit
- project or research costs you've already incurred
- costs to top up individual grants already awarded by another funder
- standalone travel or conference costs (although you can ask for them as part of a wider grant application)
- small grants to support short-term projects
- healthcare for patients
- the building of hospitals
- other charities if their sole intention is to redistribute the funds
- humanitarian aid or charities who give out humanitarian aid
- people who are applying for, hold, or are employed on a research grant from the tobacco industry.
We do not fund PhD studentships directly unless you're applying for one of these schemes:
We will fund PhD fees on these schemes:
- Wellcome Early-Career Awards – for the grantholder only, if required
- Wellcome Career Development Awards – for a research assistant employed on the grant
- Wellcome Discovery Awards – for research assistants employed on the grant.
We do not provide:
- additional funding to complete a Master's or PhD if you've already started your course
- contributions towards the cost of a PhD that isn't funded by us, such as living costs, travel and conference fees, and research costs.