Improving UK science education
Our investment in science education in the UK has made a transformative difference in engaging young people and encouraging them to consider science as a future career.
As Wellcome shifts its strategy, we’re stepping back from our support for science education.
Wellcome has a new strategy. We are supporting discovery research into life, health and wellbeing, and we’re taking on three worldwide health challenges: mental health, infectious disease and climate.
Our new focus means that Wellcome has now stepped back from its 30-year investment to improve science education in the UK.
We believe this investment, alongside the work of other organisations, has made a transformative difference to science education.
For example, we invested over £5 million each year from 2017 to 2021 and focussed that resource on three areas of science education:
- Science education research
- Teacher professional development
- Primary science
Alongside this, we supported:
- Informal science learning
- School governors
- Practical science
Our reports are still available on this website and elsewhere. See below for some of our more recently commissioned work.
- The Wellcome CPD Challenge: Evaluation Final Report
- The Wellcome CPD Challenge: Pilot Delivery Report
- The effects of high-quality professional development on teachers and students: a cost-benefit analysis
- Evidence review: The effects of high-quality professional development on teachers and students
- Quality assurance of teachers’ continuing professional development
- Science Education Tracker 2019
- Science Education Tracker 2019: key findings
- Science Education Tracker 2019: calls to action
- Science Education Tracker 2016
- 'State of the nation' report of UK primary science education
- Understanding the 'State of the nation' report of UK primary science education
- The impact of Covid-19 on primary science education
- Young people’s engagement in climate change and health in Africa and Asia
- An inquiry into involving young people in health research: executive summary
- A rapid evidence review of young people's involvement in health research
- Stakeholder consultation on involving young people in health research