Members of the Wellcome community recognised in the honours list include:
- Carol Brayne, Professor of Public Health Medicine at the University of Cambridge and Chair of Wellcome’s Population and Public Health Review Group, who receives a CBE.
- David Clark, Wellcome Humanities and Social Science Investigator and Professor of Medical Sociology at the University of Glasgow, who receives an OBE.
- Charles Godfray, Our Planet, Our Health award holder and Professor of Entomology at the University of Oxford, who receives a Knighthood.
- Laura Green, Professor and Head of Life Sciences at the University of Warwick and a member of Wellcome’s Clinical Interview Committee, who receives a CBE.
- Andrew Hattersley, Wellcome Senior Investigator and Professor of Molecular Medicine at the University of Exeter, who receives a CBE.
- Deborah Lawlor, who holds a Wellcome Programme Grant and is Professor of Epidemiology at the University of Bristol, who receives an MBE.
- Professor Melissa Leach, Director of the Institute of Development Studies at the University of Sussex, who receives a CBE.
- Simon Lovestone, Professor of Translational Neuroscience at the Dementia Research Group at the University of Oxford which is part-funded by at Wellcome Strategic Award, who receives a Knighthood.
- Professor Theresa Marteau, Director of the Behaviour and Health Research Unit at the University of Cambridge, who receives a DBE.
- Dr Julie Maxton, Executive Director of the Royal Society, who receives a CBE.
- Professor Lord Nicholas Stern, Chair of the Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment at the London School of Economics, who becomes a Companion of Honour.
- Professor Sir John Sulston, a pioneering geneticist and founding Director of the Wellcome Sanger Institute, who becomes a Companion of Honour.
- Dr Beth Thompson, Wellcome's Head of Policy (UK and EU), who receives an MBE.
- Professor Sir David Weatherall, founder of the Weatherall Institute for Molecular Medicine at University of Oxford, who receives a GBE.
- Alimuddin Zumla, Professor of Infectious Diseases and International Health at University College London, who receives a Knighthood.
Our warmest congratulations to all those who have been honoured this year.
Dr Jeremy Farrar, Wellcome’s Director, said: "The Queen’s Birthday Honours is a wonderful way to celebrate the achievements and contribution to society of so many from Wellcome’s broad community. I am delighted for everyone who was recognised, but a very special mention and congratulations to Beth Thompson who led Wellcome’s work on EU data protection, which allowed critical research to proceed, ensured cross border collaboration and protected individual privacy. A huge achievement!"
A full list of all those who have been recognised can be found on the government website.